ERP and ERP Products
What is ERP?
•ERP is an acronym for Enterprise Resource Planning
•Automates tasks involved in performing business processes
•ERP software integrates various business functions like inventory mgmt., order mgmt., accounting, human resource, customer relationship, and beyond into one complete system to streamline processes and information across the entire organization
•In practice, this means that employees in different divisions—for example, accounting and sales—can rely on the same information for their specific needs
•ERP enables planning of all resources (men, machines, materials, and money in an organization)
Major ERP players
- SAP- Highest market share
- ORACLE APPLICATIONS
- JD EDWARDS
- WORKDAY for HR
- MICROSOFT DYNAMICS
What is SAP?
- SAP Stands for “Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing”
- SAP is a European multinational company, founded in 1972 by Wellenreuther, Hopp, Hector, Plattner, and Tschira.
- Third largest software company in the world
- SAP is a market share leader in enterprise resource planning (ERP), Analytics, Supply chain management, Human capital management
- 440000+ customers in 180 countries, 200 million users, SAP customers include:
- Ninety-two percent of Forbes Global 2000 companies
- Ninety-eight percent of the one hundred most valued brands
- Ninety-seven percent of the greenest companies
- Seventy-seven percent of the world’s transaction revenue touches an SAP system
- The use of this package makes it possible to track and manage sales, purchase, production, finance/accounting, human resource activities in an organization in real-time
Career prospects in SAP
Types of Roles in SAP Projects
SAP Functional Consultants: Consultants are the people who do the configuration in the backend, work with the developers to enhance the system. They have end-to-end knowledge of the functionalities. Any major issue in the system can be handled by consultants only.
- Functional consultants to study and understand the existing business process
- He will design the current business flows in SAP
- Customize/Configure SAP system according to the business processes
- Work with technical consultants to enhance the system as per business requirements
- Functional consultant of a support project will provide support to users of the organization where SAP is already implemented
- Primary responsibility is to solve the problem of the end-users by analyzing and dragonizing the system issue
SAP Superuser (Power User)- Superusers have better knowledge about SAP systems and can support end-users on minor issues in transactions
SAP end user- Who uses SAP in the production environment for day-to-day business transactions like posting of general vouchers, recording of other financial entries, etc.